Highlighted Main Ancestral Lines

Highlighted Main Ancestral Lines
How many Ancestors Can you Find?

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Have you Found Your Family in the 1940 U.S. Census?


Well, it has been a week since my initial frustration with the U.S Census release for 1940 followed by complete elation the next day which provided the above image of my mother and her parents entries in Coalgate, OK as suspected (top 3 lines). Not all states are available just yet so it is important to be patient and the longer you wait - remember that will be much closer to when the census is name searchable too!

HUGE TIP: Use Steve Morse's one step Link here :

This is exactly how I found my first record. What is neat is it takes you right to the ED for that geographic area (no need for a street addr in most cases)and all you have to do is scroll through the pages untill you find your surnames in the Name colume (abt. the 3rd one over).

Now all I have to do is pic a photo of that timeframe to add to the census page to create a phenomenal heirloom!

Here are a few zoom shots of what I found for Mom and her folks:


Yes - them being on page 3 and the first three lines of that page in the main Coalgate, OK Ennumeration District (2 of 3)was of great help!


I also found interesting the fact that in 1935 they listed their residence as Ruston, LA where I visited recently for a work trip completely oblivious that my family had ever been there!

Good luck finding your family !

No comments:

Post a Comment